Sunday, June 27, 2010

Drighangchoo Issue 3 Arriving in July































(Click the image for a larger view)

Ah, the third issue of Drighangchoo will be finally out in a week, i.e. in early July, 2010.The above is the promo poster. We're going for a larger print format this time, and we've increased the print-run to 500 copies (given the unexpected reception of the first two issues) .

We're yet to start direct-to-home deliveries as our experiment with crows as reliable carriers hasn't even reached the beta stage. But if you're living somewhere in Kolkata and want to have a copy (or more), just send us an email. We'll work out an appointment as how the issue/s can directly reach your hands faster than a stale green pizza. The same holds if you're living elsewhere, but have some friends visiting the city who might be interested in forwarding to you. Or if you're willing to pay for the postage, we'll send the mag sailing to you through the old postal traffic routes.

Limited numbers of the above poster will also be available in print after the release of the third issue. If you want one, mail us early, or let us know on our Facebook page here.

Er, the magazine is for private circulation only, and NO commercial motives are involved (if you don't believe it, once again read this!). The use-value of the magazine is modestly set at Rs. 50 ($ 2 for people outside India). If you want older issues of the mag together with the new and/or are a student who eagerly wants to put it to some decent use with your privileges of finding the use-value of the mag a bit immodest, we are always willing to rework the use-value thing for you.

It's always your reading that is important.


3 comments:

  1. birat byapar ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Friends, I'm really happy to find the Drighanchoo blog. I got copies of your issues no. 2 and 3 from my friend Sangita Roy. I live in Kolkata and am a fan of serious comics, ever since I read "Maus" in 1994-95. Over the last few years, I have been collecting some of the best works of the comics genre - as a public resource which people here could learn from. The latest additions to my collection are: Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli; 3 vols of stories by Yoshihiro Tatsumi; Ode to Kirihito, by Osamu Tezuka; and A Drifting Life (autobiography) by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. I would be happy to share my collection. I would like to see a rich and thriving comics publishing and reading culture in India in my lifetime! I translated a collection of short stories of the Bengali anti-establishment writer, Subimal Misra. I had been struck by the potential of Misra's stories for comics rendition, esp the stories set in Kolkata, where the city is also a character in the story. I had been trying to find artists to collaborate with me on this Misra stories-comics venture, without any success. Recently, I put up another message on the Sarai Reader's List, and was contacted by some artists, but none from Kolkata. So learning about Drighanchoo and seeing issues 2-3 was very encouraging. I am eager to connect with some of the artists whose work is carried in them, to discuss the Misra project with them. A number of artists could be involved in this, so that there is a rich diversity of styles. My email is given in my blog profile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Nila-kantha-chandra,

    We are really happy that you found us out. A rich and thriving comics culture in India is our dream too, and it's doubly nice to find like-minded people.

    An email from one of our team-members will soon find its way to your mailbox.

    Regards,
    Team D

    ReplyDelete

Confused? Critical? Quarrelsome? Tell us about it...